Open call: Interactions with Colour
“In visual perception, a colour is almost never seen as it really is – as it physically is……In order to use colour effectively, it is necessary to recognize that colour deceives continually.” — Josef Albers
The RGI Kelly Gallery is happy to announce the second Open Call for 2020. In reference to Josef Albers 1963 publication, Interaction of Colour, we are seeking submissions for the Winter members show which relate to ‘Interactions of Colour’. In relation to Albers publication, submissions can be interpreted in any way desired. We are particularly interested in a variety of works and mediums (drawing, painting, sculpture, performance, mixed media).
If desired submissions can respond to the below quotes:
‘if colour is gonna open up a better dialogue with the work then I’ll use that’ – Jim Lambie speaking to the Independent, 2014.
‘Pure white: this is certainly a Western problem, and there’s no getting away from it.’– Chromophobia by David Batchelor, p.13.
‘The purest and most thoughtful minds are those which love colour the most.’ – The Stones of Venice, John Ruskin.
We are aiming to hold a physical exhibition at The Kelly Gallery, 118 Douglas Street in December 2020 (all dependent on Covid-19 restrictions). All selected works will also be put onto our social media platforms and online shop.
• Please go to our online submission portal on our website and enter all the details required. Submissions without all the correct information will not be considered.
• Works can be no bigger than 50 x 50 cm including when framed.
• Framed and unframed works will be accepted for submission.
• Submissions must be from RGI members only. To join, or to renew your membership with the RGI click here.
• Each RGI member can submit one piece to the Open Call.
• Please provide an artist bio/statement, no more than 150 words along with your RGI membership number.
• Deadline: 1st November 2020. Submissions after this date will not be considered.
Any questions please get in touch at [email protected] or on 0141 258 1080. Please keep checking our Instagram (@rgiglasgow) and our Twitter account (@RGIArt) to keep up to date with the developments for 2020.